How can I show task AND description on an invoice?

I’m trying to figure out if I can create workable invoices in Toggl instead of duplicating everything in Quickbooks. I track all my work by client > tag and write the detail in the description field. When I invoice my client, they need to be able to see the tag (which billing center they rebill my work to) and the description (what I did), plus the duration and amount.

I’ve played with a lot of ways to try to add a “description” column to a summary report. If I have Tag and Description selected, it looks like this:

If I click the +, my options to add are lots of things, but not descriptions. It says to “remove groups to hide it.” I don’t know what “remove groups” means, but I don’t want to hide it – I want it to be a column.

I’ve tried all the other “group” options but can’t find one that allows me to add a column for Description.

I thought perhaps I could simply add it on the invoice, but that does not appear to be a customizable field.

I hope I am missing something … am I? Surely many of us need to show detail on our invoice.

Hi! Invoices use the first level grouping for the rows, so if your first grouping is Tag or Task, it will show that. Simply put, you can’t add description and tag to an invoice, just one thing.

Thanks for the reply. Useless to me, then, because I am a contract writer/editor with multiple clients who have multiple clients. So I need to invoice client A for work I did for client A1, A2, etc., and I invoice client B for work for clients B1-B5, and they need to know what I did for each sub-client so they can rebill their own clients.

Currently I am exporting my monthly report as a spreadsheet, using filters and conditional formatting to narrow it down, and then copy-pasting my activities into Quickbooks to send an invoice. I’d love to be able to do it all via Toggl, since that’s where all the information is.

Thanks for that information! We can pass this along as feedback to our Product team if you’d like!

Yes, please do! That would be great.

Will do. Thanks again!

Yes - I too am in need of descriptions on my invoices. It seems to me that I ought to be able to make an invoice from a detailed time report - that has the info I need. Currently, I export a detailed report per client to a template I made in Excel, then I save it as a pdf and mail that to clients. I will have to go to another platform to find a way to connect to an auto payment for an invoice - And please while you are passing information along to the design team, add in the ability to see reports with oldest entries first, and total hours in decimal form - unless I am already missing something in your settings that . thanks

Just read through a lot of Q&A on this issue - its been going on for years. Again, please make the invoicing feature able to make an invoice from the detailed time report. I too would like to be able to edit details and remove columns I don’t need. Its taken nearly an hour for me to review all the info in this forum, when I ought to be just sending out my invoices. If I am still a paid user when the implementation takes place, I’ll use it. If not, it will benefit your next group of paying members.